Monday, July 7, 2008

Happy 4th of July

What a busy and awesome weekend. We had so much fun celebrating the 4th of July with family and friends this year. My sister Andrea and her family came up from Queen Creek and my other sister Amber came up from Mesa and we had a great time. We woke up Friday morning and headed to the 4th of July Fun Run/10K. Amber, Rick, Brody, Brett, Noelle and Dick did the Fun Run and Rustin and I did the 10K. I can honestly say that this 10K was harder than the Whiskey Row 10K. Maybe it was because I hadn't really trained that much since I ran the St. George Marathon in October, but it pushed me. I was sweating it up. Little over an hour, not bad for a crazy trail course.


We headed back to our house to get ready for the World's Oldest Rodeo. When I was a kid, we would go to the Cedar Fort Rodeo over the 24th of July. Kids rode sheep, kids caught a greased pig, et cetera, et cetera. Eat a greasy hamburger from the concessions. There weren't even bleachers to sit on. Just pull your car or truck up onto the terrace and sit in the back and watch. I'm not a big rodeo person, but I really had a great time this year. It was really fun to watch Brody get excited about all the horseys. It rained on us last year and it also rained this year, but it was fun.


We headed back to my house and everyone came over for a BBQ. Well, it wasn't really a BBQ because I decided against hamburgers and hot dogs and with everyone's help we had Cafe Rio salad. Yummmm!! There isn't a Cafe Rio in Arizona, at least not that I know of, but a friend of mine gave me the recipe, so if you want it, let me know. Delicious.
Nic smuggled some sparklers over the Arizona border from her trip to the Motherland. So while we waited for the fireworks to start, we let the kids do sparklers. Nic and I were talking about when we were kids our dads would light them up and we would run around like crazy people, writing our names and chasing each other and nobody was concerned. We were all hovered around our kids like we were vultures. LOL.

We live right down the road from where our town sets off the fireworks, so we can just stay home and not fight the crowds. It's nothing like the Stadium of Fire, but we enjoyed it.
The next day was just as action-packed as the previous one. We headed off to the parade. Now, I really love living here, but I do have to complain that the parade here is soooooooo long, 160-something entries. It's not like the Lehi Round Up Parade, floats with flowers, all the cheerleaders, bands marching, royalty et cetera, et cetera. Here it is like a huge commercial with lots of horses and lots of Congressmen asking for your vote. Oh, and lots of pooper-scoopers. I love Utah parades. Brody loved it. He was pointing and oohing and aahing at all the animals and even though he isn't a big candy eater, he collected quite a bit.
Next we headed over to the courthouse square and walked around all the booths and then headed to the "Treat Store" to get some popcorn. Amber always gets carmel and I get white cheddar. Scrumptious. We then went to Rick's folks' house for the traditional artery clogging LOL fry bread. Oh so delicious. You make them with taco toppings and then for dessert --- butter and honey. YUMMMMMMM!!
Amber and I then headed to Fashion Bug for a little shopping and then we all went home.
We sat outside for a while on the swing and were visiting. Now, I have this really bad habit of playing with my gum. I don't know why I do it. It's really kind of gross, but I do. Andrea and I were sitting on our porch swing and for some reason, I can't remember, she had her arm up. Reverting back to my instigating days of my childhood, I stuck my gum to her armpit. Oh, can I laugh any harder. The gum was so sticky, I had to get a baby wipe to get it off. I did the best I could, but her arm kept getting stuck to her shirt. Andrea was not impressed but she was laughing until she cried, in true Balle fashion. It was a great weekend and I love it when my family visits. Happy Birthday America!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never realized how much you and Amber look alike... looks like you had a great holiday! Riggin's in the big Cedar Fort Rodeo & I'm making a float so check our blog for some good home town memories after the 24th.

katie said...

your little boy is so freakin cute! you will be happy to know that i am currently training for a marathon that i will do using a "handcycle". hard but way fun! good job on your marathons. i respect anyone who does them!
i also have fond memories, or not so fond memories however you want to analize them, of the cedar fort rodeo. i have hung up my rodeo hat but it looks like y'all had fun...guess who came to lunch yesterday? teneal college ross...i am good friends with tara...cole cooper's wife. it was good to see her and to catch up!

Shawna said...

I would love the Cafe Rio recipe. maybe I could use it at the reuion. Am so sad you all are not coming. It won't be the same without you.Also maybe you could send me the salad recipe that your sister made at your shower when you got Brody. The one with ham and bow tie pasta. It was so good. Love you guys

Tiffany said...

We had an amazing parade and great fireworks and tons that we let off ourselves yet all I wanted was to be in Prescott with the horrible parade and even worse fireworks- there is just something about it or maybe it is just the memories tied to it. I would almost rather come home for the fourth than Christmas.

Nicole said...

So much fun...so sad to have missed it! Sounds like you all had a wonderful time!! I would LOVE the cafe rio salad recipe... now you've got a pregnant girl craving it and there probably isn't a Cafe Rio within 2000 miles. Oh by the way there IS a Cafe Rio in AZ, it's in Gilbert (you'll have to go next time you're there). I used to make it at home too but I would go to the restaurant and get the dressing for $2, so the recipe would be awesome!