Sunday, August 17, 2008

Pickles, Projects & Potty Training

First the Pickles...... This was such a fun Saturday for us. More canning, more canning, more canning. Our cucumber plants in our garden have just gone crazy. I thought for sure I would have pumpkins coming out my ears, but that unfortunately is not the case. But man, the cucumbers are everywhere. Rick, Brody and I bottled dill pickles and his Grandma Mangum's sweet pickles and I have to say that they are quite delicious. Next, the potty-training. Okay. I'm sure all of you have some good hints on how to accomplish the fun task of potty-training, so give me some help. This morning, Brody woke up with the desire to wear "unners" So, I've heard that if they show interest, you should take advantage and encourage them. So, I broke out the "unners." Well, by 10:00 and three "unners" later, I was finished and we were back to diapers. He has shown interest since, but I'm not sure I'm interested. His little heinie does look cute in "unners." LOL.
Moving on to the projects, more canning. This time, more jam. Brody is right in the the thick of things, pouring and helping and I just love it. We do get a little messy, but oh, well. Our next project was banana bread. Another one of my favorites.

This has been Rick's project. He has been working so hard on this chicken coop and finally our chickens have a home. He did such a good job. The only thing left is the paint. The chickens were getting so big and stinky in our garage, that we needed to get them out. So, unfortunately we haven't had time to paint it, but we will.

Our chickens aren't quite big enough to let roam the yard, which is kind of sad because the invasion of the grasshoppers has begun. They are EVERYWHERE. It really is disgusting and I'm not sure the rest of my garden will make it. Hopefully I will still have tomatoes because I think I might attempt to can some salsa.

8 comments:

Nicole said...

Looks like you've been busy, fun, fun! It all sounds so yummy! As for potty training, wish I could help... Carter was too easy. I've decided that it all happens eventually. I have just given them opportunities to go, encouraged them and used sticker charts and it seems to work. Gage is pooping in the toilet almost all the time now and I figure peeing in the potty will come one of these days! Good Luck!!

Brytani said...

Sheesh Ashlee you are so good at this blog thing! You keep on top of things! I just looked at it like a week ago and I think there are 3 new ones. You are my inspiration! Thanks for the vote of confidence with how I am doing things in Primary...sometimes I just feel like it doesn't matter how much you organize, it all goes out the church's screwed shut window. But oh well, I guess its like that for everyone. Thanks for all you do, and always being willing to help with everything. (if I can be like Ashlee Mangum I'll be good!)

Lindsay said...

Wow you guys have been busy!

I was really bummed to have missed your jam making demo at your house. I made all that raspberry jam with you and Jeanine that one time (and still have tons left) but it was the freezer jam and I don't know if I remember how to make the other kind.

You definitely need to share the love if you are able make homeade salsa!

Anonymous said...

I hear ya on the potty training. Scout and Swayzee are doing so good at it but I feel like I am holding them back because I swear Riggin always has to pee at the most un-opportune times, you have no idea how many times that kid has pee'd on my the car tire in Walmart parking lot-lol. ummm, not the same with girls.

Unknown said...

Ashlee you rock! Not only is your blog awesome, but you're smokin' hot!!!!! You're husband is one lucky dude. I wish it would have been me instead of him. Maybe in the next life. Wink Wink. XOXOXO LOL.

The Miner Trio said...

I am so glad you found my blog Ashlee. It was good to hear from you. I love your blog and your little guy is adorable too.

Unknown said...

Seriously!! Do you ever stop??? WOW all I can say is that is awesome all of it. I know that potty training is hard stuff but I heard once make it fun squirt dish soap in the toliet and have him pee and make bubbles! Or put a couple cheerios in the toliet and have him shoot them down. Funny things like that I heard that they love. Also I am jelous that you have chickens. I have the greatest memories of me and my grandpa Jim and his chicken coop. I would gather the eggs, wash them and he would hook up my donkey "Blossom" to the cart and I would sell them around the neighborhood. So fun, but Jake hates the idea of chickens so i guess I will just have to settle knowing your sweet little man will grow up with chicken memories. haha

paige said...

My mom has a way that you can potty train in a day and it really works! You'll have to talk to her about it.