Saturday, June 14, 2008

Happy Father's Day!



I just wanted to take a minute and let you all know how grateful I am for my father and all the fathers that I've had in my life.
There's a quote that says, "Dad is great about showing us how to do things, even if he doesn't know how." I love that quote and it reminds me of my dad. I remember lots of times when my dad would try to fix things and then end up calling the neighbor to help. I remember him letting us put curlers in his one lock of hair. I remember him fixing a huge bowl of popcorn, only to have seven sets of hands come and grab a handful. I remember him taking us to the book store and letting us pick out books. I remember bologna with ketchup and macaroni and tomato. I remember paper routes and "Come on now."
As I look back, I have a lot of good memories of my dad. We've struggled at times, but I have good memories. He is a good man and I'm grateful he is my dad. As an adult, he is there for me and gives such great advice. My favorite "dadism" lately is: The Lord does not push us beyond our endurance, he only pushes us to our endurance. I'm grateful for the phonecalls and I'm grateful that I can honestly say that I really have a great relationship with my dad. He truly is a good friend. I love you, Dad.
I also want to say thank you to some of the other dads in my life: Kent Harris, Skip Oxborrow, Nile Hansen, Khyl Powell, Nolan Jensen, Bo Warner and Dick Mangum. I'm so grateful to you and for your examples.
I'm also grateful for my Father in Heaven. He truly blesses me and my family and I'm grateful for all that I have.
Finally, I would like to let my wonderful husband know how much I love to watch him be a father to our little boy. I love that he teaches him to work, to love and to serve. I love that he teaches him to give strangers rides home, help the lady in the parking lot with her groceries and to give five dollars to the homeless person on the street. I love that he teaches him to love boy scouts, legos, and that it's okay to be upset. You are a great father BOY TOY and I love you. Happy Father's Day!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Ash, you sweet thing. I almost had a tear when I read about you thanking my dad! I know that he would do it all over again if needed. We love you and thanks for that little tribute. I can remember the fun times we had. Crazy that time flies so fast.

Shawna S said...

Geez Ashlee, you've got me tearing up. Guess that's cuz we all probably have the same kind of memories and love for our dads (and husbands). Nice job.

katie said...

Oh Ashlee! I am so glad that you "blog-stalked" me and said something! Where are you living now and what are you up to?
Thank goodness for the blogging world so that we can all stay in contact and involved in each others lives, huh?!

Talk to you soon...

kt

jeannine said...

LOVE the picture of Rick and Brody. Cute!