Friday, June 13, 2008

How does your garden grow??




Well, we finally did it. We have lived in our house now for almost five years and we have never planted a garden. After many excuses of money, not having the fence done around our property and all the little bunnies that live in our yard, we buckled down and did it. I'm not sure how fruitful our harvest will be, but it has been fun to watch things pop through the ground. Rick has been teasing me because I planted so many pumpkins. What do you expect from a Halloween addict?
It's interesting to me to think about all of the prophets that have counseled over time to plant a garden and I think it is partly to be self-sufficient, but I think it is mostly to spend time together. It is a lot more work than I remember it being as a kid. I don't remember all the watering and weeding and all that kind of stuff. I just remember jumping on the trampoline and eating peas straight out of the pod. Our concern now is to prevent the nuclear-sized grasshoppers that come our way in August to keep from eating all of our hard work. Heaven help us, we are talking about getting some chickens. Happy growing!!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I am jelous- we put one in last year but I was so sick we hardly made good use of our crop. We have some seedlings I need to get in the ground soon! It is tough with a wee one. We shall see!